TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yeah. EGR operation checks good but valve cover vacuum???
People Seeking Info

Subject Yeah. EGR operation checks good but valve cover vacuum???

Posted by Zarcasm(Hfd, CT) on October 13, 2009 at 7:31 PM
  This message has been viewed 394 times.

In Reply To Wow! this is getting like an Agatha Cristy Mystery>>> posted by ZUL8TR on October 13, 2009 at 08:12 AM

Message No popping the clutch! I'm just putting the car in gear at idle and then flooring it. The hesitation is most noticeable in first gear. The engine accelerates sluggishly until around 3,000 rpm and then zooms up a little to achieve higher acceleration. You might say well engines naturally have more torque and power at higher rpms, but the acceleration is very discontinuous, pronounced, and more inconsistent than you'd expect. It's also most prominent when the engine is cold.

I've done the timing test you've outlined when I checked the timing at the beginning of summer and it operates in the correct fashion, more advance with increased speed, but it would be nice to have confidence that the timing slope is on spec, not just the direction.

It's VERY curious that I get absolutely no speed change when I open the valve cover cap, both with the old PCV valves and pipes in this video, as well as now after I installed all new PCV stuff. Something there doesn't smell right. Hmmmm. And what if the previous owner's mechanic replaced the timing belt but the grease monkey put it on wrong! Hmmmmmm! How difficult is it to get access to the timing line-ups for the timing belt?

Zarcasm(Hfd, CT)
view My Profile (click here)
view My Technical posts (click here)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.